You are here
Volunteers from the community play a crucial role in helping the Cox Science Center deliver inspiring and engaging science experiences. We rely on volunteers to help fulfill our mission to provide lifelong science learning while enhancing the experience of our visitors on a daily basis. As an organization, we aim to give our volunteers tasks that accommodate their interests as well as create an experience that is both beneficial and gratifying.
To apply, click the "Apply Today" button at the bottom of the page. Click here to review the Volunteer Handbook.
Kristian Zambrana firstname.lastname@example.org
Current volunteers login and sign up for shifts today!
**CSCA does not host Court Mandated Community Service. All applicants are subject to a background check prior to approval**
Teen & Adult Volunteer Positions:
**All volunteers must be at least 14 years old to sign up.
- Exhibit Docent
- The exhibit docent must engage guests of all ages within the permanent and traveling exhibit halls. They will need to provide supplemental information on exhibits, content, and the science center itself to visitors. The volunteer will have to guide visitors and groups to various locations within the science center. The docent will need to be able to explain scientific information to visitors of all ages and assist guests with brain teaser activities. Only available for ages 18 and up.
- Field Trip Attendant
- As a field trip attendant, the volunteer will assist the Visitor Services team in greeting school buses upon arrival and welcoming school groups. The volunteer will be assigned to a specific school group that they will guide through the various exhibits in the science center while making sure that all children are following all rules and actively engaging in learning. The volunteer must be able to effectively communicate information and activities with guests of various ages and backgrounds. When needed, the volunteer will assist education staff with school programs.
- Special Events Volunteer
- Special event volunteers must execute the full set up and breakdown of the event that they are working at. The volunteer will have to guide visitors and groups to various locations within the science center and assist education staff with programs if necessary. The volunteer will have to assist with various activities designed by the Director of Special Events and interact with the public while performing science demos and crafts.
Counselor in Training (CIT) Positions:
This program is for students in grades 9th-12th. Looking for a fun way to earn volunteer hours for high school graduation? Sign up to be one of our CSCA Counselors-in-Training (CITs) for Summer Camp 2022! Gain valuable experience working with our campers in a fun, science environment and set yourself up for great job opportunities! Click the button below to apply and for more details feel free to email our Camp Manager at email@example.com.
- Teacher’s Assistant CIT
- Teacher’s Assistant CITs (TAs) work very closely with our Camp Teachers/Counselors assisting them with any and all needs. These responsibilities include helping with crafts/sciences, planning activities, P.E. games, etc. TAs may be called on to take over lessons or crafts, so they must present themselves as natural leaders in the classroom and elsewhere.
- Youth Program CIT
- Youth Program CITs will be in the classroom working very closely with the children. They assist the campers with certain tasks and activities, such as crafts, science lessons, snack/lunch, etc. These CITs must work well with campers of all ages and must be able to handle the campers in groups and individually.
- CIT Runner
- These CITs will not be in any particular classroom and will assist while the campers are out at P.E. or being dropped off late. They will navigate from room to room helping the kids move to their P.E. location, watching them during P.E., and returning them to their classroom before moving to the next group. Runners may also be called upon for lunch delivery to each classroom or to retrieve supplies for the classrooms.