Solar Eclipse Viewing

You are here


Monday, April 8th 10am - 3pm

Join us at the Cox Science Center to view the Partial Solar Eclipse!

In the Florida area, the sun will only be obscured about 47% which leaves 53% of the sun still visible. The Cox Science Center, along with the Marmot Observatory Team, will be allowing guests view this Partial Solar Eclipse inside the safety of our Observatory, which holds South Florida's largest publicly available telescope. This large 10 foot refracting telescope with solar filters will allow all space enthusiasts to view this Partial Solar Eclipse safely without the need of solar glasses, while getting to ask the experts some questions about space and seeing their amazing telescope in action. ***This viewing is included with regular general admission. 
 

***The Cox Science Center will have a limited number of Solar Viewing Glasses since this is only a Partial Solar Eclipse. Solar Viewing Glasses are first come, first serve.There may be additional glasses for purchase in our gift shop (while suppies last).  The eclipse will start at 1:48pm, be at its max at 3:30pm, and end at 4:15pm, giving viewers an adequate amount of time to safely share the glasses. NEVER LOOK DIRECTLY AT THE ECLIPSE WITH YOUR NAKED EYE OR SUNGLASSES. This can cause severe retina damage.

Want to view the eclipse safely the entire time, without glasses? Click here for an easy DIY solar eclipse pinhole projector!

What areas will be in the path of totality to view a full solar eclipse?
-Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine are all in the path of totality.

Activities happening between 10am - 3pm: 

  • Various Space Themed Activities Throughout the Day
  • Science on a Sphere Presentation 
  • Observatory will be open to view the Solar Eclipse safely 
  • View Space-Themed Planetarium Shows:
    Planetarium Schedule:

     

     Monday - Friday

    11:00 AM

     

    12:00 PM

     

    1:00 PM

     One World, One Sky: Big Bird's Adventure (27 min.) - Follow Sesame Street's Big Bird and Elmo as they explore the night sky with Hu Hu Zhu, a Muppet from Zhima Jie, the Chinese co-production of Sesame Street. Together they take an imaginary trip from Sesame Street to the moon, where they discover how different it is from Earth.

    2:00 PM

     Night Skies Above the Palm Beaches (30-45 min.) Rain or shine! Come view breathtaking planetarium images of the starry skies above Palm Beach, Florida in this live, traditional planetarium show.

    3:00 PM

    Black Holes- (25 min.)Zip through other-worldly wormholes, experience the creation of the Milky Way Galaxy, and witness the violent death of a star and subsequent birth of a black hole. Can you feel the pull? Narrated by Liam Neeson.

    4:00 PM

    Mission: Moon Watch- (30-45min.)Take a closer look at our nearest celestial neighbor – the moon! Our science educator will lead you on a lunar expedition to explore the unique relationship between our planet and its only natural satellite. Learn about moon phases, lunar cycles, tidal forces, planetary motion, and more in this brand-new, live planetarium program.

    5:00 PM

     

 

 

 

 

.